![]() |
| South Face of the Old Man of Hoy photo courtesy of Adam Long |
As we peered upwards into the mist enshrouded heights of the rock tower we knew one thing; there were five people climbing the original route and none on the GMB West Face route. Congratulating ourselves on our originality we gently mock the numpty cluster fuck taking place around the corner. Assuredly we tease in a couple of optimistic wires as a ‘belay’. I settle back to watch Reeve dispatch the first 5c pitch. Half-jokingly I suggest we might beat the other teams to the top.
Twenty minutes of total failure later we were again both still stood on the starting
ledges. Damp, sand generating slopers, indifferent gear and fragile footholds
with a propensity to crumble had defeated all upwards progress at a height of less
than five metres. Daunted we swapped lead; additional RP’s were nestled into cracks,
holds rigorously brushed and good jams on the lip of the overhang gained. Having
stuffed the break with the largest cams I ran it out to the belay. Confidence
slightly knocked we muttered something about there being no point in retreating
yet and continued on.
Over the next few hours we both, backed off, traversed off,
prevaricated and split pitches at additional belays. The guide description
quickly became mere optimistic guidance.
Struggling to progress upwards I forced a wafer thin traverse in desperation. A unique
crouching experience, stooped below an overhang, smearing sandy foot holds and
pinching a horizontal wafer thin flake. Walking never felt so exposed and gear
never felt so far away. Had this been included in the original ascent I’m sure
it would have had a prominent write up.
We quickly realised our double set of wires were nothing but
ballast whilst our double set of cams were woefully inadequate. As we climbed
higher it became clear that bailing off this route was going to be a costly
exercise. I favoured building a good
belay, tying both our ropes together and worrying about the consequences
tomorrow whilst Reeve was eyeing up a diagonal abseil across the North Face to
the sanctuary of easy ground. As both of these plans seemed worse than continuing
upwards we kept going. The forth pitch stretched on forever with its thirty
five metres (really?) eventually broken down into three pitches with us finally
gaining the terrace thirty metres below the summit at about eight pm. A mere half hour prior to sun set. We used
the terrace to bail onto easy ground, topping out in time to watch the sun set.
As we descended into the gathering darkness we agreed that tomorrow we would return to finish it off.
Needless to say there was no sign of the party of five.
Another late start saw us looking down from the landward cliff top
behind the old man. A slow moving team on the first pitch of the original route
filled us with horror. Our plan of blasting up the trade route and abbing into
the final (crux) pitch of the GMB looked optimistic. Luckily they headed left
up the South Face in a shower of loose holds and fulmar vomit, leaving the way
clear. One pitch of overhanging offwidth, two pitches of ledge shuffling and
one good corner led to the top. We abseiled and traversed into position below
the final thirty metre, overhanging corner system, of the GMB. At this point I
declared that having led the lion’s share of the lower section it was only fair to let Reeve have first refusal. He almost bit my hand off.
This last pitch was epic in position and quality.
The final capping buttress overhung the North West arĂȘte and the climbing was steep and athletic with
enough gear to provide comfort but long enough run-outs to focus the mind. A
section of wafer thin flakes added spice with the specialty being good breaks
with a subsidiary fragile flake above. This left one with no option but to
trust the fragile higher surface. When weighted these often held for a while
before dropping you, unexpectedly half a centimetre lower onto the solid hold
below. Logic flew out the window on these occasions and I’m sure I heard
whimpering floating down from above along with the sandy debris.
This time we topped out with plenty of time to enjoy the
summit. Three tops in two days seemed quite good going.
Having only climbed the West Face GMB route and the East
Face Original route I’m possibly not in a position to argue that the GMB is the
best route up the Old Man but I do know that if I head back again I’m taking
less wires, a triple rack of cams and going for the one-day speed ascent.
Although as Dave Turnball always insists, the best thing to take on routes like
this is John Arran.

Oi! I was only moving slow to let the fulmars puke everything up so we could get past completely clean :P
ReplyDeleteP.S. Good effort and good write-up.
ReplyDelete