South Avellano Tower

South Avellano Tower

Wednesday, 23 December 2009

Peak Esoterica Number 3 – Central Gully – Mam Tor

It’s Christmas Eave 2009. I awake fuzzy headed with a list of things that need doing. My alarm has been set unforgivably early for such a day. The lethargy provoked by the early start is compounded by the after work Christmas beers the evening before.

Mam Tor Central Gully
I’m in Sheffield, I need to get to my Nan’s house in Kent, I have no Christmas presents and Central Gully on Mam Tor is in

Dave on Mam Tor Central Gully

 The snow blanketing the Peak has pushed all other priorities aside. I try to contain my impatience as I drive through Hathersage and Castleton, repeatedly almost loosing the back end on icy corners. Shortly after I pass the turning to Winnets Pass I accept defeat and park. Shouldering my bag I trudge up the snow-clad road to the south face of Mam Tor.
Mam Tor Right Hand Gully

The south face of Mam Tor is normally a shattered shale monstrosity, sloping rubble filled shelves tier upwards to the summit crowned by the remains of an ancient fort. Clambering the gullies to the summit is possible but seldom attempted. Now, plastered with snow and frozen mud it would give good sport. Due to the mist however I was yet to see it.
 Mam Tor in summer (not snow)

I rendezvous with John at the base and we geared up strapping on crampons and extracting ice tools from bags. I then followed as John set off. We soloed Central Gully before rushing down to climb a further two or three lines. Under those conditions it all felt about Grade III, the snow was firm but not neve, the mud below, firm but not frozen totally solid.
The road back down to Castleton

Medowhall was hell and the drive home worse but conditions have to be taken as the come…..

No comments:

Post a Comment