South Avellano Tower

South Avellano Tower

Thursday, 1 April 2010

Bishop to Moab Epic

Yesterday morning I returned to the Buttermilks with the intention of speedily dispatching my project. This did not happen, it was cold, I felt dejected by the cruel way the problem spurned my attentions. In addition to this everything possible was hurting, my knee did its twisty pain thing whilst I was toe hooking and my elbow hurt as well as the pains mentioned previously.

I decided that enough was enough, I said my goodbyes to the two lads I had been climbing with for a couple of days and headed in search of "Cat Man" who had lent me his guide. (he is the guy with a bouldering cat called Tuxido that lives in his car) I found his car by the Happy boulders so left the guide and some beer in the car guarded by Tux. I then headed east (at about 1pm) thinking:

a. I will go a new way to see more of the states
b. How far can it be, I've driven from Kent to Skye without stopping before, I'll be grand.

I have attached a map showing the route I took and ALL the things I saw. Please note, that is all there was.

Tonopah was nowhere. It was clearly on the junction of roads between nowhere-special, nowhere-else and nowhere-happening. The remains of its industrial heritage was imprinted clearly on the landscape, spoil, mine trimmings, abandoned cars and mechanical equipment surrounded the area. Within this outer rim, this encasing layer of degradation lay a second layer of slightly more recent economic failure. Motels without windows, Motels without cars in the lots and debatable viability competed with Motels with no roofs. Within this lay the core. Burger King and a new looking motel, I blinked and it was gone. I passed a stock car ring and a sign informing me of no gas for 168 miles and it was gone.

As I headed eastward and upwards it gently began to snow, the sign said no gas for 168 miles and it actually meant nothing at all for 168 miles. It is a really barren landscape with nothing there, no vegetation, cliffs or buildings, just rubble hills and mountains with one or two mail boxes at the end of side tracks indicating possible people off the horizon.

Learning how to put on snow chains was an experience, the darkness, driving snow and wind conspired against me somewhat. It got sorted in the end however. The second time was easier although I was fundamentally unsure about when snow chains should be used, how fast one should drive in them and when they should be removed. The van ended up caked in ice and it was all a great adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment